View the 2022 Watson Fellowship webinar and/or register for the fall webinar to be held on September 15, 2022!
Consult the Thomas J. Watson Fellowship website to learn more.
Check out their recent film about the Watson experience!
All graduating seniors at 41 participating institutions (including Carleton) are eligible for nomination by their institutions.
The Watson Fellowship Program seeks to give exceptional college graduates the freedom to engage in a year of independent study and travel abroad in order to thoroughly explore a particular interest, test aspirations and abilities, view their lives and American society in greater perspective, and develop a more informed sense of international concern. The Fellowship provides $40,000 to each recipient (more if traveling with spouse or dependents).
Selection Criteria: The Foundation seeks to identify individuals who demonstrate integrity, strong ethical character, intelligence, the capacity for vision and leadership, and potential for humane and effective participation in the world community. Feasibility of the project is also taken into account. Find out more about the Watson criteria.
Rather than completing a pre-application form for the Watson Fellowship, we request that you contact Marynel Ryan Van Zee (email@example.com). She will register you in the portal and provide additional information about Carleton’s application process, including the password for Carleton’s 2022 Applicant Resources (see below).
- As soon as possible: Contact Director of Student Fellowships Marynel Ryan Van Zee (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request access to the Watson Portal and the Watson Applicant Resources Page.
- August 30, 2022, 5pm Central Time: On-campus (optional) draft deadline (information on what is expected for this due date will be included in the resources you can access once you have contacted Marynel).
- September 22, 2022, 5pm Central Time: On-campus selection process deadline. Instructions for meeting this deadline are provided on the Watson Applicant Resources Page.
- Monday, November 7, 2022, Noon Central Time: Final application deadline for nominees (hit ‘submit’ in the Watson Portal)
Watson Applicant Resources
Review the applications of past Watson recipients!
Each applicant should thoroughly read the materials on the Watson Foundation website
Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, Laird 131, x4300.
Recent Carleton Recipients
- 2022: Yuanhao Zou
- 2020: Anna Conley ’20
- 2019: Alysala Malik ’19
- 2017: Emily Ross ’17
- 2014: Halah Mohammed ’14
- 2013: Charlie Bentley ’13, and Robin Wonsley ’13
- 2012: Niki Tomita ’12, and Gracie Ogilby ’12
- 2011: Kai Knutson ’11; Matthew Fink ’11; Adam Karas ’11
- 2010: Andrew Terwilliger ’10. Check out Andrew’s blog.