Information Session Video:
What is the Mitchell Scholarship?
The Mitchell Scholarship supports one year of graduate study in Ireland or Northern Ireland for a small cohort of US Citizens. Named to honor former US Senator George Mitchell’s pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell Scholars Program is designed to introduce and connect generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, leadership, and a commitment to community and public service.
Who can apply?
- U.S. citizens who will have completed a bachelor’s degree by the time the scholarship begins and will not have reached the age of 30 by the date the application is due.
- Because a very strong academic record is required for consideration for the Mitchell Scholarship, Carleton is unable to nominate students or recent graduates whose GPA is lower than 3.7.
Why apply for the Mitchell Scholarship?
- The Mitchell Scholarship supports graduate study in Ireland or Northern Ireland, both home to many well-respected universities.
- Mitchell Scholars are part of a small cohort that is encouraged to explore Irish life and culture, and receives many opportunities to meet important figures in Irish society and governance.
- The scholarship includes tuition, accommodations, a living expenses stipend, and an international travel stipend,
- Mitchell Scholars join a lifelong network of influential people, and can use their education and those connections to support the work that matters to them.
What are the Selection Criteria?
- scholarship (academic excellence)
- a sustained commitment to community and public service
Where can I learn more?
- Visit the official website of the Mitchell Scholarship to learn more about the award.
- The Mitchell’s page on institutions is a great resource for learning more about the wide variety of graduate programs you can pursue with a Mitchell Scholarship.
- Make an appointment with Director of Student Fellowships Marynel Ryan Van Zee to discuss your interests and get your questions answered.
5pm Central Time on Friday, June 18, 2021: Pre-Application Form due.
Additional deadlines that fall over the summer and during early Fall Term will be explained on the 2021 Mitchell Applicant Resources page that will be made available to those who complete the pre-application.
Contact Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, x4300/mryanvanzee, Laird 131.