What is the Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
The Gates Cambridge provides full funding for graduate study in any field at Cambridge University. The stated purpose of the scholarship is to build a “global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.” This is a highly competitive award, made to 25 US and 55 international applicants per year.
Who can apply?
- Citizens of any country other than the United Kingdom
- Applicants to pursue a PhD (three year research-only degree),MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree), or one-year postgraduate course (e.g., MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.) in any subject at Cambridge University.
Why apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship?
- The Gates Cambridge Scholarship fully funds an entire degree program at Cambridge University, one of the world’s best universities, with outstanding faculty who are engaged in cutting-edge research.
- The Gates Cambridge cohort enjoys a wide variety of enrichment programs and opportunities that enhance the value of the scholarship and degree program (as well as contributing to the development of their leadership potential).
- Gates Cambridge Scholars comprise an influential network of global leaders.
What are the selection criteria?
- Outstanding intellectual ability
- Leadership potential
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- A good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate program at Cambridge for which they are applying.
Where can I learn more?
- Visit the Gates Cambridge Scholarship website for more information.
- Read about the Cambridge University application process (you must apply to Cambridge University in order to be considered for the scholarship).
- Make an appointment with Director of Student Fellowships Marynel Ryan Van Zee to discuss your interests and get your questions answered.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship has a multi-tiered application process. You must apply to the graduate program of your choice (see more information on the Gates Cambridge Scholarship page) as well as to the scholarship itself. If you are a US citizen, the scholarship deadline falls in October and if you are a non-US citizen, the scholarship deadline falls in December.
Although there is no on-campus process for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship application, the Office of Student Fellowships is happy to offer assistance and advising through the process to Carleton students and recent alumni.
Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, Laird 131, x4300/mryanvanzee.