The Schwarzman Scholarship application is now open, and they are offering regular information sessions for potential applicants!
What is the Churchill Scholarship?
The Churchill Scholarship provides funding (including tuition, fees, and a living stipend) to American students for a year of Master’s study in science, mathematics, and engineering at the University of Cambridge, based at Churchill College. The Scholarship was set up at the request of Sir Winston Churchill in order to fulfill his vision of US-UK scientific exchange with the goal of advancing science and technology on both sides of the Atlantic, helping to ensure our future prosperity and security.
Who can apply?
The Churchill Scholarship is open only to US citizens: either seniors enrolled in one of the participating institutions, or alumni who have graduated within the past 12 months. You must have a BA by the time you begin the scholarship and cannot have earned a doctorate.
Carleton may nominate up to two candidates for the Churchill Scholarship.
Please see a list of Programs of Study eligible for the Churchill Scholarship.
Why apply for the Churchill Scholarship?
- The Churchill Scholarship fully funds a year of study at Cambridge University, one of the world’s best universities, with outstanding faculty who are engaged in cutting-edge research.
- The Churchill Scholarship is the most prestigious post-baccalaureate fellowship award for those interested in a STEM research career.
- Churchill Scholars often go on to further graduate study at top programs in their fields, and become leading researchers.
What are the selection criteria?
- Outstanding academic achievement, especially in the major. There is no minimum GPA, but Churchill Scholars usually have GPAs above 3.8.
- Proven talent in research and a capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a STEM field by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level. Awards, prizes, research and letters of recommendation are used to assess this criterion. Applicants in the sciences and engineering should have extensive laboratory experience, internships, or other related work; applicants in mathematics should have substantial independent work or other projects. A majority of Churchill Scholarship nominees have won the Goldwater Scholarship (Note that students interested in medical practice, who cannot apply for the Goldwater, can apply for the Churchill).
- Outstanding personal qualities; although the commitment to STEM research takes a lot of time, successful applicants display talents and pursue activities outside in areas like music, athletics, and community service.
Where can I learn more?
- Visit the Churchill Scholarship web page for more information.
- Consult the list of eligible Cambridge programs and learn about the Cambridge University application process (you must apply to Cambridge University in advance of the Churchill Scholarship deadline).
- Make an appointment with Director of Student Fellowships Marynel Ryan Van Zee to discuss your interests and get your questions answered.
- June 17, 2022, 5pm: Mandatory Pre-Application Form due
- October 3, 2022, 5pm: On-campus deadline
- Early November: Official deadline (materials due at Churchill Foundation)
What is the application process?
Read the application instructions on the official Churchill website very thoroughly, including the specific requirements for letters of recommendation. Be sure you meet the earliest October deadline for admission to Cambridge University (this is usually the Gates Cambridge Scholarship deadline), as application to Cambridge is a prerequisite for the Churchill application.
You are expected to work on the application independently over the summer but it is strongly recommended that you seek guidance from Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, and your faculty advisor(s) or recommenders.
By Monday, October 3, 2022, at 5pm, please hit ‘submit’ in the on-line application system. Letters of recommendation, which must include the cover sheet that you will have provided to your recommenders, must be submitted by the same deadline.
Marynel will be able to return your application to you for further revision, should you be selected as a Carleton nominee and asked to continue polishing your materials.
Contact Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships at x4300, Laird 131/mryanvanzee.
Recent Carleton Recipients
2022 – Jaren Yambing ’22
2013 – Tom Callister ’13
2012 – Michael Coughlin ’12