To be eligible to receive a Beinecke Scholarship, a student must be a college Junior, a citizen of the United States and have a documented history of receiving need-based financial aid as an undergraduate student. See the eligibility section of the Beinecke website for further information.
- 5:00 p.m. on December 1, 2020: Pre-Application Form due
- 5:00 p.m. on January 4, 2021: Draft of application essay due to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 9:00 a.m. on January 18, 2021: Application materials due for on-campus deadline
- 5:00 p.m. on February 1, 2021: Drafted letters of recommendation due to email@example.com for Carleton nominee
- 5:00 p.m. on February 8, 2021: Final application materials and faculty recommendations due for Carleton nominee
The program seeks to encourage and enable highly motivated students to pursue opportunities available to them and to be courageous in the selection of a graduate course of study in the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Each scholar receives $4,000 immediately prior to entering graduate school and an additional $30,000 while attending graduate school.
It is strongly recommended that you submit a draft of your application essay for review and feedback by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, January 4, 2021.
Applicants should submit the following materials as a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 18, 2021. Please include “Beinecke” in the subject line.
- Application Form
- Current resume
- Personal statement of 1,000 words or less from the nominee describing your background, interests, plans for graduate study and career aspirations. The statement should include a discussion of some experiences and ideas that have shaped those interest, plans and aspirations.
- The names and contact information for three faculty members (at Carleton or elsewhere) who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation in case you are nominated. We may contact one or more of these recommenders during the selection process. If you are nominated, recommenders will be asked to submit a drafted recommendation letter to Marynel Ryan Van Zee no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 1, 2021, followed by a finalized version due on February 8, 2021, by 5:00pm .
- A transcript. An unofficial transcript ordered via the Hub is fine at this point. If nominated, we will ask for an official transcript which will be submitted with the application materials.
Interviews and Nomination process
All applicants will be interviewed by a faculty committee as soon as possible following the January 18 deadline. A nominee is chosen and all applicants are notified of the outcome, after which the faculty committee will work with the nominee to revise the application. All documents, including the official transcript and letters of recommendation, must be submitted to Marynel no later than 5:00 p.m. on February 8, 2021. She will submit the official application with all supporting documents by the Beinecke Foundation deadline.
Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, Laird 131, x4300 / mryanvanzee
2013 Recipient: David B. Williams ’14
2012 Recipient: Muira McCammon ’13
2008 Recipient: Mya Dosch ’09
1994 Recipient: Peter Nichol ’95
1990 Recipient: Kevin Baird ’91
1985 Recipient: Barbara Falkowski ’86