The Professor Roy F. Grow Endowed Fellowship Fund was established in 2014 by Dr. Michael J. Hasenstab ’95 and Mary Ann Hasenstab as a meaningful and lasting tribute to Professor Grow’s role at Carleton. Roy F. Grow P’03, Frank B. Kellogg Professor of International Relations, served Carleton’s political science department for 33 years, significantly impacting the College’s academy and students. Roy is recognized by colleagues and students as a thoughtful and distinguished leader, teacher, and mentor, and is remembered for his abiding relationships and infinite devotion to his students. Roy was an avid scholar of Asian culture, and he played a catalytic role in many Carleton students’ study abroad experiences, personally leading more than 400 students on trips to China. He encouraged them to explore the world in unconventional ways, and with his guidance and support, scores of them did.
The students supported by this fund will have the opportunity to embrace the adventurous spirit modeled by Roy.
To support a significant student experience in Asia, during summer or winter break, which may include research, travel, service learning or internship projects. Funds may be requested to cover travel expenses, to replace lost wages, or to enable at-home preparation. These trips are often developed with encouragement and guidance from faculty members.
More than one proposal will be funded each year.
- Priority to Juniors or Sophomores, though First-Year students may also apply;
- Students in any major are eligible;
- All applicants must be in good academic standing.
Deadline: 5 PM on Tuesday, March 30, 2021
A complete application packet includes:
- Online Application, with attached single PDF containing your transcript, resume, etc.
- For tips on planning the required budget, read Creating a Budget for Carleton-Funded Fellowships.
- Two recommendations, which will be requested from those you name in the application and submitted using the appropriate form below.
BE SURE TO ASK recommenders before listing them on the application.
NOTE: Using Carleton faculty or staff as recommenders is usually the best choice. Non-Carleton recommenders may disadvantage you as they may not know Carleton, and the selection committee does not know them. Use your judgment in this, as in all other areas.
- The Office of Student Fellowships will forward finalized proposals to the your recommenders following the due date.
- Recommenders should submit the appropriate Online Recommendation Form (below), and are welcome to also attach a letter of support, if they choose.
- The deadline for recommendations is 5 PM on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
Recommendation Form – Carleton Faculty and Staff
Recommendation Form – Non-Carleton Faculty
For research involving human subjects, Institutional Review Board (IRB) applications must be submitted electronically *before the research begins*. Visit the IRB website to learn more about the process.
Please contact Marynel Ryan Van Zee, Director of Student Fellowships, Laird 131, x4300