Who should apply?

Senior STEM majors, who intend to pursue a PhD; in particular, those who believe they would benefit from additional research experience before applying to graduate programs, in order to explore a new research area and/or to burnish their credentials.

Please note that this fellowship may not be used by graduate students; it is expected to prepare fellows further for admission to graduate programs.

Can I apply for this fellowship after I graduate?

No; fellowship applications may only be submitted by current Carleton seniors.

Who should write my recommendations?

As noted in the application guidance, two letters of recommendation are required. One must come from a Carleton faculty member in your major; your other letter may come from another discipline or another institution. If you have done research, at least one of your recommendations must come from a research supervisor (whether that person is at Carleton or elsewhere).

Will you accept more than two recommendations for an application?

No. Please request only two recommendations to support your application.

What is a U.S. Research One (R1) institution?

These are universities that, according to the Carnegie Classification, are “doctoral universities with very high research activity.

Some research by R1 faculty takes place away from the university itself; Paglia Fellows must be eligible for an appointment at the R1 institution, regardless of the location of the research activities themselves.

How do I know, as a foreign student, if I am eligible for OPT (optional practical training)? 

Information about OPT is available on the Department of Homeland Security website, and you may also consult with the Office of International Student Life at Carleton.

What are the selection criteria for this fellowship?

Academic excellence (especially GPA in the major/STEM fields); previous research experience and/or demonstrated capacity for research; potential impact of the post-BA experience on the applicant’s career trajectory.

The strongest consideration will be given to applicants who intend to complete two full years of full-time post-baccalaureate work (or one year for international applicants) and those who would use the fellowship to broaden and expand their skill set and their network of scholarly mentors and contacts.

How do I identify an appropriate advisor/host institution?

Ask a Carleton faculty member in your area of interest for advice.

May I use the fellowship to return to an institution/group/lab where I have already worked?

As noted above, the strongest consideration will be given to applicants for whom the fellowship would expand their network of contacts; however, there can be good reasons to return to a previous location to continue work on a project or pursue a new one. Please make clear in your application materials why returning to a previous location would be the best choice for you.

What support will this fellowship provide?

The fellowship will provide a stipend and benefits for the fellow, comparable to those provided to graduate students at the host institution. It will also support research expenses (as negotiated), travel to relevant conferences, and travel to report on activities at Carleton. In addition, the fellowship will cover a proportion of overhead expenses at the host institution.

Will I get medical benefits through this position?

The benefits you will receive will depend on the institution. In general, you should expect to receive stipend and benefits comparable to current graduate students at the host institution.