Nancy Wilkie (1942-2021)
This fellowship, made possible by a generous gift from Professor Emerita Nancy Wilkie, supports attendance at a field school or other archaeological field site for one to two students per summer. First-year, sophomore, and junior students are eligible to apply.
Nancy Wilkie taught in classics and anthropology at Carleton College from 1974 until 2013, when she retired as Professor Emerita. She received her AB in classics from Stanford University and her MA and PhD in Greek from the University of Minnesota. She worked on archaeological excavations in Greece, Egypt, and Nepal. From 1985 to 1996, Nancy was the director of the Grevena Project, an archaeological survey in Southwest Macedonia, Greece, where she managed an international team of archaeologists, geologists, and anthropologists.
The Nancy Wilkie Fellowship is awarded for programs that last at least four weeks. The amount of each award is dependent on the cost of the student’s intended program and other budget items identified in the application.
The Archaeological Institute of America maintains a list of fieldwork opportunities that interested applicants should consult in identifying a program. NOTE: Applicants are required to meet with one of Carleton’s Archaeology Program Faculty (Alex Knodell, Jake Morton, or Austin Mason) to confirm that the program they have selected is appropriate for the Nancy Wilkie Fellowship.
Deadline: 5 PM on Tuesday, March 30, 2021
A complete application packet includes:
- Online Application, with attached single PDF containing your
- resume; and
- Financial Aid Award notice.
- Two Recommendations, which will be requested from those you name in the application and submitted using the appropriate form below.
- For tips on planning the required application budget, read Creating a Budget for Carleton-Funded Fellowships.
- BE SURE TO ASK recommenders before listing them on the application.
- Using Carleton faculty or staff as recommenders is usually the best choice. Non-Carleton recommenders may disadvantage you as they may not know Carleton, and the selection committee does not know them. Use your judgment in this, as in all other areas.
The Office of Student Fellowships will forward finalized applications to your recommenders following the due date.
Recommenders should submit the appropriate Online Recommendation Form (below), and are welcome to also attach a letter of support, if they choose.
The deadline for recommendations is 5 PM on Tuesday, April 6, 2021.
Recommendation Form – Carleton Faculty and Staff
Recommendation Form – Non-Carleton Faculty