Some fellowship funds offer financial support for experiences. This is a broad category that can include internships and other hands-on activities related to your academic or professional goals, service learning, and experiences without an explicit purpose beyond intellectual and personal development or enhancing your intercultural awareness.
The Chang-Lan, Professor Roy F. Grow, and Larson International Fellowships use a common application form; the David C. Donelson Fellowship, Nancy Wilkie Fellowship, and Technos International Week Opportunity use individual application forms that may be accessed via the links below. All fellowship applications require recommendations.
As part of the application, you will enter the names of your recommenders; please be sure they have agreed to provide a recommendation. Following the due date, we will send a copy of your finalized application for their review and direct them to the form to complete a recommendation form for you.
Read Creating a Budget for Carleton-Funded Fellowships for helpful tips on budget preparation.
All fellowships require a “Bring-Back” in order to share experiences and raise interest in Carleton fellowships. You will describe your planned bring-back as part of your application; get some ideas on the After Your Fellowship page.
All fellowship applicants must be in good academic standing. In addition, fellowships may not be awarded to students who are on probation or suspension for conduct violations.
Does your planned experience include travel?
All of these fellowships may be used to support travel, and some of them must be:
- The Larson International must be used to support international travel.
- The Chang-Lan and the Professor Roy F. Grow awards must be used for research or experiences in Asia.
Experiential fellowships open to First-Year students:
- Chang-Lan Fellowship (Sophomores and Juniors receive priority)
- David C. Donelson ’77 Fellowship
- Professor Roy F. Grow Fellowship (Sophomores and Juniors receive priority)
- Technos International Week
- Nancy Wilkie Fellowship for Archaeological Field Experience