We have a limited number of fellowships available to support seniors engaged in research or creative activity related to their comps projects during Winter Break. Applications are due during Fall Term and must be supported by the comps advisor. *Only seniors are eligible to apply for this fellowship opportunity.
Please note: A limited number of fellowships will be awarded. Your comps project should include contingency plans if you do not receive one!
Application due date: October 26, 2020, noon – PLEASE NOTE EXTENSION!
Decisions announced no later than November 6 2020, by email
Funding limit: $2,000; comps fellowship funding may not be used to cover lost wages over Winter Break.
Application components (all due by October 26, 2020, noon):
- Application Form (including abstract, proposal, budget)
- Letter of support from your comps advisor emailed to the Fellowships email address.
- Proof that you have requested IRB approval, if required for your project, emailed to the Fellowships email address.
Those awarded fellowships will receive funds via student account disbursement by mid-November, provided all requirements (including final IRB approval, completion of waivers and/or health and safety orientations) are met. Funds must be used during Winter Break or returned to Carleton.
Preference will be given to proposals for comps research that has not received previous support from the Office of Student Fellowships.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Clarity of the proposal (is it clear what the student wishes to do for the comps and how the proposed research and budget are related to that goal? is it clear that Winter Break is the appropriate time for the activity?)
- Budget rationale (does the budget seem reasonable, and has the applicant explained each item clearly? are items included that do not seem necessary?)
- Comps advisor recommendation (does the comps advisor provide specific and sufficient support to the proposal, in terms of the work to be done, its feasibility in the time given, and the budget need?)