The English Department oversees the judging of four writing contests that are sponsored by the college. We encourage Carleton students (from any year or major) to enter their work in these contests. Prizes are awarded for prose fiction, academic essay, poetry, and humor, and announced at the annual Honors Convocation. There is a monetary award for each prize.
The 2019 deadline for all four competitions is Friday, April 12 at noon.
- Upload contest submissions to Dropbox using this link. Please be sure to fill in your name (first and last) and your Carleton email address when uploading your file to Dropbox. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU’LL USE YOUR NAME.
- The first page of your entry should include a title page, which should list the title of the work and the name of the contest you are entering (but NOT your name).
- Entries must be saved as Microsoft Word documents; no PDFs, please. When saving your Word file, please use the following title format: “[Name of literary prize]-[Title of your work].docx”. For brevity’s sake, please use the following abbreviations for the names of the prizes: “1885,” “Curran,” “Huntington,” and “Strauss.” YOUR NAME SHOULD NOT APPEAR anywhere in the file you submit as your entry.
- Prose entries should be in double spaced format with numbered pages.
- Students may enter more than one contest, but must submit a DIFFERENT manuscript for each contest entered. A single composition can be entered in only one contest.