We will continue to add additional FAQs to this page as they are developed.
What is the College doing to support students with financial needs?
Students will receive their full financial aid award, even though the total cost for Spring Term 2020 is reduced. Room and board fees will be reduced, based on the time a student is on campus during the amended term. Student activity fees also will be reduced.
Student employment awards, like financial aid, will not change. Students who have remained on campus can arrange their work hours with their supervisor as normal or take advantage of other job postings. Students who are not living on campus may be able to work remotely if their positions allow.
Carleton has met emergency funding requests from students to cover many needs, including:
- Transportation to their home or other safe place
- Funding to address food insecurity
- Funds for wifi or other technical assistance to assure access to remote learning
- Funds to address ongoing medical and mental health needs.
Students may continue to request emergency funding through the Dean of Students Office.
How is the College supporting students who don’t have a safe home to return to? Or those with food security issues?
Nearly 260 students remain on campus in Northfield. These students petitioned to remain on campus by sharing their circumstances with the Dean of Students Office. The ability to depart campus for a safe home was among the factors considered.
Students remaining on campus during spring break have access to meals as part of their daily room and board fee. For additional food options during break, the Carleton Cupboard is a source for free food.
What is the College doing to support seniors with their upcoming transition to the workforce?
Every senior has been assigned a career coach (a professional staff member in the Career Center) to assist with their individual plans. Career coaches will be connecting with them throughout the spring term and beyond to support their search processes and post-college planning.
Alumni can help support seniors in this area in the following ways:
- You can share internship or job postings with students via our internships/jobs website, the Tunnel.
- You can join the Carleton College Alumni group on LinkedIn for our weekly guided discussions this spring.
- You can create a job, internship, or job shadow opportunity exclusively for a Carleton student. Please email our employer relations team to talk through the details and how we can help you recruit a talented Carl.
- The Career Center is developing some virtual activities to help facilitate knowledge-sharing with students through a modified 30 Minutes program and related opportunities. Please email RJ Holmes-Leopold if you have specific expertise on how to be successful in a search process or would like to talk about your industry experience with students.
How can I help?
Make a gift to the Alumni Annual Fund, which provides approximately $10 million each year to the college budget and provides maximum flexibility for the College as we look to support our students and faculty. The Alumni Annual Fund directly supports the additional dollars being spent to assist students now and in Spring Term.
The College, through Student Financial Services, meets 100% of the demonstrated financial need for all students enrolled. This calculation is made equitably for all students by using data submitted through the FAFSA form.
Every year, a student’s financial aid package is reassessed based on the financial circumstances for each family. It is likely the financial aid budget for returning students next fall will increase, reflecting the severe economic disruption currently underway.
We are also exploring ways to create a virtual support network for students and alumni so that the connection to campus remains. We will have more information about this soon.
What about Reunion?
We regret that we won’t be able to hold Reunion on campus this June as planned. Visit the Reunion FAQs page for the most up-to-date information on alternate plans being made by the Alumni Relations Office.