Education & Professional History
Stanford University, BA; Cornell University, MA, PhD
At Carleton since 2003.
Highlights & Recent Activity
Forthcoming: “Don’t Look Away: The Bodies of American Studies,” in Teaching American Studies: State of the Classroom as State of the Field, University of Kansas Press.
- “Telenovelas and Melodrama in Latin America.” Oxford Bibliographies in “Latin American Studies”. Ed. Ben Vinson. New York: Oxford University Press, 2019. http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199766581/obo-9780199766581-0206.xml
- “Yearning to Belong, Drawn to be Mexican: Hollywood Depictions of White Lack and Mexican Affective Fullness,” with Lee Bebout, Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies 43.2 (Fall 2018) 103-35.
In the works:
- “Telenovela Feeling in Sandra Cisneros’s Loose Woman” [to be included in an edited collection on Sandra Cisneros’s work]
- “Latinx Melodrama: Jane the Virgin, Vida, and the Twenty-First Century Audiovisual Narratives” [to be included in the Cambridge Latinx Literature in Transition volume]
- “Telenovelas on U.S. Prime Time: Brown Feeling Mediated” [to be submitted to Meridians]
Organizations & Scholarly Affiliations
American Studies Association, Latin American Studies Association, Latina/o Studies Association, National Association of Chicano/a Studies, The Society for the Study of the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States
AMST 115: Introduction to American Studies
AMST 225: Beauty and Race in America
AMST 398: Advanced Research in American Studies
AMST 399: Senior Seminar in American Studies
ENGL 295: Critical Methods