Location: Sayles 251

Time: 4:30 am

Present Rob Lamppa, Chris Erickson, Mark Kanazawa, Mike Kowalewski, Steve Spehn, Ray McGaughey, Nora Mahlberg, Katie Blanchard, Eliza Berry, John Kraus, Amy Silanpa

Absent Andy Clark

Secretary: Chris Erickson

Announcements

  • Eliza: SRF Meeting Leighton 305
  • Ray: met with Adam Smith (previous ENTS intern) when he was in town, they discussed Transportation, which Adam did lots of research on.

Minutes from 10/21/08 are approved.

SRF Update

  • Nora discusses meeting with CSA
    • Publicity is most important
    • There is currently no incentive, credit? Independent study?
      • Projects could be recognized at Honors Convo.
    • There need to be more advisors:
  • Facilities, Dining, STAs as advisors
  • Proposed Schedule of SRF for winter term (and all terms thereafter)
    • 2rd Week: initial project proposals due
    • 3rd week: SRF Committee gives feedback on all initial proposals
    • 6th week: Final proposals due to SRF Committee
  • Ray: Why not have final proposal due 8th week?
    • Eliza: academic works starts to kick up 8th and 7th weekends.
    • Mike: 6th makes more sense with midterms
    • Mark: The charter says Wednesday of 8th week.
  • Chris: Clarification that the initial proposal is not a stamp of approval by the SRF, but a favor.
    • Mark: So this first proposal does not need to be set in stone.
    • Nora: Projects should get to CSA no later than 8th week.
    • Mark: ALL projects go to Nora, and then she brings them to the SRF committee, then SRF Committee takes proposals to EAC, then EAC to CSA.
  • Nora: What about advisors for before the first deadline.
    • Ray: Likes the idea of the STAs as liasons.
    • Eliza, it could be a check-off box, “Met with STAs”
    • John: We could eventually create a Faculty resource list.
    • Mark: How about we make a strong recommendation that they meet with a faculty advisor?
    • Chris: But should we keep a space for Faculty Advisor on the proposal, a check box?
  • Mark: Yes
  • Chris will send out a copy of the “Initial Proposal” so that people can review it.

SRF Schedule for winter term:
Final summary of SRF Schedule for Winter Term (added to minutes at Mike Kowalewski’s recommendation:

3rd Week Friday (Jan 23): Initial Proposal (click on the link to download), consisting of basic idea and some preliminary research, due to SRF Committee (submit by email to Chris Erickson at (ericksoc@carleton.edu).

4th Week Friday (Jan 30): SRF Committee will respond with feedback to all initial proposals, highlighting areas that final proposals will need to focus on.

4th-8th Weeks: Conduct analysis of savings and explore ways to maximize project feasibility. This is a great time to talk to professors, Facilities staff, the STA’s, or the 5th Year ENTS Intern, who can provide help with energy and monetary savings analysis.

Wednesday of 8th Week (Feb 25): Final SRF project proposal (click on the link to download) due, all proposals should be submitted to Nora Mahlberg (mahlbern@carleton.edu)

1st Week of Spring Term: SRF Committee will make final decisions on all proposals.

Discussion Point: President’s Climate Commitment

  • How much is it going to cost to comply?
  • The feeling is the economic forecast will push the PCC to the side
  • Mark proposed the following baseline:
    • Using 100% offsets and RECs for 22,000 tons of CO2: $262,000 per year
    • In addition: we have a free (donated) windmill hopefully coming. We just need to fill in the gap.
    • The idea is not to focus on costs but to talk about what our objectives are as a college.
  • Rob: And engagement?
    • Nora: does the student body even know about the PCC?
    • Eliza: Should we connect the PCC to carbon neutrality?
    • Rob: Or push it on economic grounds?
  • Mark: Let’s approach it systematically, e.g. what can the ENTS program do?
  • Mark has gotten permission to hire someone to teach a course in sustainable design, and students have expressed interest.
    • Bring visiting speakers/experts in to talk about things with sustainable design.
  • Mark: Structured classes would go a long way toward helping people to think about it.
  • Mike: We should be careful, though, about estimating pre-interest of students on campus.
    • How do you make people care about it?
    • How do you make it simpler, but not simplified?
  • Should we communicated with CAMS on this?

There will be no more EAC meetings this term unless something very important comes up.