75 credits total are required for a Classics major
- 18 credits in Greek (GRK) and/or Latin (LATN) above the 102 level. This may include courses designated CLAS-F (and in some cases HIST-F)
- 18 credits in Classical Civilization (CLAS), with one course from each of the three groups below
- One course from CLAS 384, 385, 386 or 387, required to be taken in the senior year (6 credits)
- CLAS 400 (3 credits)
- 30 additional credits in the general area of Classical Civilization (CLAS), Latin (LATN), or Greek (GRK), two of which must be at the 200 level or above.
- Up to 6 of these credits may be from a related department (History, Philosophy, Art History, Archaeology, Political Science, Religion), subject to adviser approval
- Courses from CLAS 384, 385, 386, or 387, if taken before the senior year, may count toward these 30 additional credits.
The College language requirement may be satisfied by completion with a grade of at least C- in any of the Greek or Latin languages numbered 204 or above.
The Classics Departments of Carleton College and St. Olaf College cooperate in a program under which students of either college may elect certain courses on the other campus. This option is especially appropriate for upper level language courses not offered at Carleton. Carleton students should register for St. Olaf courses through the inter-registration process.