Beginnings • The Post-War Years • The New Millennium • Student Work Off-Campus
Founded in 1866 by the Minnesota Conference of Congregational Churches, many of Carleton’s first engagements with the wider world were associated with its Christian mission. A number of Carleton’s earliest graduates went on to undertake missionary work in China, Japan, India, Turkey, as well as throughout the United States. Some of Carleton’s earliest international students first become acquainted with Carleton through these missionary connections.
The study of foreign languages at Carleton also has its roots in Carleton’s earliest years: initially, Latin and Greek, with French and German joining them soon thereafter. The early 20th century saw an international dimension introduced to new areas of Carleton’s curriculum, from international relations to geology, with the help of notable figures like Frank B. Kellogg and Laurence M. Gould.
Frank B. Kellogg
In 1937, Carleton trustee Frank B. Kellogg donated $500,000 to support the establishment of a Department of International Relations and to fund scholarships for foreign students to attend Carleton. Kellogg had been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for co-authoring the Kellogg–Briand Pact in 1928 while serving as U.S. Secretary of State.