Beginnings • The Post-War Years • The New Millennium • Student Work Off-Campus
Founded in 1866 by the Minnesota Conference of Congregational Churches, many of Carleton’s first engagements with the wider world were associated with its Christian mission. A number of Carleton’s earliest graduates went on to undertake missionary work in China, Japan, India, Turkey, as well as throughout the United States. Some of Carleton’s earliest international students first become acquainted with Carleton through these missionary connections.
The study of foreign languages at Carleton also has its roots in Carleton’s earliest years: initially, Latin and Greek, with French and German joining them soon thereafter. The early 20th century saw an international dimension introduced to new areas of Carleton’s curriculum, from international relations to geology, with the help of notable figures like Frank B. Kellogg and Laurence M. Gould.
Walking along Fenchow mission wall
Jack Caton ’40 and Paul Clifford Domke ’40 walk along the mission wall.
Today, the school and hospital still stand, and Carleton’s relationship with Fenyang has been renewed and strengthened in recent years. Since 2006, a Chinese Language Associate comes to Carleton each year from Fenyang, and graduating Carleton students are selected to serve as English teachers at Fenyang Senior High School.