Logistics is the detailed coordination of a complex operation involving many people, facilities, or supplies. On this page, a small number of forms, instructions, and best practices have been gathered to assist the operations in the Center for Community and Civic Engagement at Carleton. Please contact the Operations Coordinator if you need additional assistance.

Event Support

Events are a central part of the Center’s work and there are a few components that will assist you in creating a welcoming and successful event to move forward your work whether it’s for an ACE class or a co-curricular project.

Bon Appétit is the College’s catering and dining service provider and is a first stop when ordering foods for events.

Catering Request Form

Carleton Catering Guide

You also have the option of ordering from any number of local restaurants or food providers.

You also have the option of ordering from any number of local restaurants or food providers.

PEPS (Presentation, Events, and Production Support)

Assistance with projection technology, video conferencing, recording both audio and visual, and other technology support is available through PEPS.

Request Event Support

All other PEPS-type requests

  • Under request type drop down menu: Please choose “PEPS” (towards the bottom), then “Event” from the next drop-down menu, and then “Tech assistance and/or setup”, “Videoconferencing”, or “Videotaping”.
  • You may need to log in with your Carleton user name and password.

Room Reservations

Space reservations are needed for all types of spaces on campus: classrooms, meeting rooms, and event spaces.

Reserve your space through Campus Scheduling or by contacting Campus Scheduling at x7185.

Complete the Facilities Setup Sheet

Sometimes, you will need to reserve the most-sought-after spaces many months in advance. If you will be using video conferencing during your event, you can book a room with this equipment. If such a room is not available, the necessary equipment can be set up by PEPs.

Media Release Form

Please have all non-Carleton participants fill out a Media Release form if you are planning on taking and using pictures from your event on any Carleton or CCCE platforms. All completed forms should be filled out and returned to Melissa Thomas. If using pictures from or publicizing events with community partners, it may also be beneficial to read through the document on ethical storytelling/publicity from the Minnesota Campus Compact.

Background Checks/Fingerprinting: For Local Schools and Other Organizations

For local schools, have your students fill these out, and bring them back to the CCCE:

Background Checks/Finger printing

Fingerprint Flow Chart
Fingerprint Flow Chart

Publicity and CCCE Stories

There are several ways that information and communication about ACE course, co-curricular events, cohort activities, office events, and news can be shared on campus and in the community. Below are a few ways you can let people know about your activities:

Request that the Communications Cohort assists with publicity by completing the Publicity Request Form. This can include:

  • CCCE Calendar Listing
  • All-Campus Event Calendar Listing
  • Inclusion in weekly email digest
  • All-campus announcements (sent Monday and Thursday)
  • Facebook posts
  • Poster or graphic created
  • Digital signage (poster added to TVs around campus)
  • Facebook event

Indicate that you would like assistance with photography of the event (dependent on student availability.)

Stories are one of the most powerful ways we can communicate what our office does. Share your stories related to the CCCE here!  

Share a story and photo after an event so that the CCCE can report on activities and include stories on the website and in our newsletter, and annual report, and other media venues.

Purchases and Reimbursements

There are two ways for Fellows to make purchases for cohort or program supplies and for office snacks and other standard purchases.

You can purchase items with your own money, check, or credit card. You will need to complete a Reimbursement Form (see link below) and turn it in to your ProStaff. This form should be completed with all information you have and have your signature, the date, and a phone number where you can be reached at the bottom. You will need to attach a receipt and submit the paperwork to your ProStaff who will then fill in the account number to be charged and sign to approve the reimbursement. This will be given to the Operations Coordinator for review and submitted to the Business Office. It takes about 10 days to process payments.

Open and save this file as a pdf file on your computer. Re-open using Adobe Acrobat DC or similar. You can then edit the pdf and replace text in the form with your information, especially including signatures at the bottom.

Or, you can use the CCCE Cohort and Program credit card that is kept in the Office. You will need to sign out the card which also indicates that you have read the credit card agreement and agree to those terms. You will use the credit card and then complete the Visa Card Receipt Form which allows you to attach a receipt of the transaction. Receipts should be turned in immediately upon return of the card to the office.

Note: No tax will be paid on purchases. The tax-exempt number is imprinted on the credit card. If tax is included on your purchases, you may be asked to reimburse that amount. If you need a copy of Carleton’s tax-exempt status, check with your ProStaff.

Release and Waiver Form

This form needs to be completed and returned to the CCCE prior to participation in any activity. Please check with the Operations Coordinator if you need further instruction on this.
Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk, and Indemnity Agreement

Reporting Cases of Child Abuse and Neglect

Setting up and Paying an Outside Vendor

  1. Check to see if they are on the approved vendor listing
  2. If they are already on the list, we don’t need to request a W-9.
  3. If they are not on the list, a W-9 Request will sent to the vendor. request (see #5 below)
  4. If the person is coming in on a contracted basis for special work and is not a Carleton employee, an independent contractor form must be completed. The person negotiating the contract should complete this form. This goes to HR and you will receive notification when and if it has been approved.
  5. You must send out this link for the vendor to submit information for a W-9. Once the vendor completes this request, a payment request form can be submitted.
  6. If it is an outside vendor/contractor, before a payment request can be submitted, the independent contractor form must also be completed and approved by HR.
  7. Additionally, the vendor can request to have payments made via direct deposit rather than have to wait for a paper check (Carleton’s preferred method). The Accounts Payable Department will send a direct deposit form to the vendor so confidential payment information can be shared with the business office.
  8. Once these items are ready, a payment request form may be submitted. This can take 7-10 days to process. Complete the payment request form and send along with documentation of the expenses to Melissa Thomas for CCCE requests. She will review account numbers and be sure signatures are in place prior to sending to the Business Office for payment.
  9. If there are any questions about this, contact accountspayable@carleton.edu.

Tokens of Appreciation, Donations, Gift Cards

The business office offers options that may be helpful in paying community knowledge holders. Review the information on this page for policies on:

  • Honorariums and Donations in Lieu of Honorariums
  • Amazon Gift Cards

Tokens of Appreciation

  • College gifts policy.
  • Small tangible tokens of appreciation to non-employees can be appropriate
  • Example: showing appreciation to community speakers with a mug
  • Typically one or the other is given (honorarium OR token of appreciation, not both)
  • When listing the expense on a purchasing chard, note the following: Token Gift, recipient’s name, note that it is for a partner, the purpose, and that it’s not going to an employee.

Training and Work Forms – Required for CCCE


All Fellows have a training overview at the beginning of the term when they start. Here is the presentation with live links in case anyone wants to go back and have a refresher.

Working with Minors. You can access this course at the United Educators Website.

Log in or create an account. If this is your first training you will be asked to register and create an account. Scroll the “My Courses” bar to find the applicable modules. You only need to complete this course once during your time at Carleton.

Sexual Misconduct Training for Peer Leaders with Laura Riehle-Merrill. Here’s the link to the online training video. It’s 47 minutes long.

Vulnerable Adults Training. This course is provided by the Minnesota Department of Human Services that takes about an hour to complete. It covers the relevant laws and some example scenarios, and there’s a quiz at the end that you need to pass in order to get a certificate.

Work Forms

Both of these forms must be completed before any work-study position can begin. You will need to schedule a time to meet with Human Resources (HR) staff (either online or in-person) for a short 15-minute meeting.

Either download or pick up form in the HR Office, complete, meet with a HR staff member, and return the completed, signed paper copy to the HR Office at Carleton College (can be mailed in). Be sure to leave enough time to schedule your meeting with HR to allow plenty of time prior to your return to work.



For all information relating to transportation at Carleton, please see the Carleton Transportation page.

Carls-Go! provides recurring transportation for students volunteering at Northfield Public Schools or going to Allina clinic or the hospital. It is free to Carleton students with a OneCard, and it picks up outside Stimson House at the Davis parking lot Shuttle Stop every 30 minutes between 8:30am and 5pm, Monday through Friday.

This option is best for students traveling individually or in small groups to and from Northfield Public Schools, Allina Clinic, and the Northfield Hospital throughout the week.

For more information, see the Carls-Go! shuttle page.

Carleton Fleet Vehicles

Go to the Fleet Vehicle Reservation Page to reserve a car or van. Visit the Carleton Transportation page for the most recent information.

A limited number of fleet vehicles are available to faculty, staff, and student organizations for business and event travel sponsored by the College. This often includes travel for ACE Courses. When driving Fleet Vehicles, the costs of gas are reimbursed by the College.

Note: These vehicles may be driven only by college-approved drivers

This option is best for groups of students traveling to locations in Northfield other than the public schools and health institutions, or locations outside of Northfield.

For information on how students, faculty, and staff can become Campus Drivers, see the Eligible Drivers page from Campus Services.

For more information on Fleet Vehicles and how to reserve them, see the Fleet Vehicles page.

Field Trip Funds

The Office of the Provost can support with transportation funding for field trips.

Follow the process laid out on their website and email Eric Egge, Associate Provost, with requests.


For all other transportation options, visit the Campus Services transportation site.

Website Support

The Communications Cohort is ready to help update pages on the CCCE website in addition to news posts for upcoming events. Please fill out the CCCE Website Updates form to request an update or form. If your update or post includes a photo or attachment please email it directly to the Communications Cohort.