About the CHAT
The Carleton Humanities & Arts Trailer (CHAT) is a mobile recording studio, workspace, and gallery for exhibitions and pop-up events. Because the CHAT is mobile, it functions as a “third space” that serves as a bridge between campus and the greater community, and as a site for public-orientated collaborative work. Members of the Carleton community are encouraged to use the CHAT for public scholarship, academic civic engagement, and community collaborations.
Potential uses include:
- Recording stories or oral histories (i.e. StoryCorps)
- Sharing research, data visualizations, art, etc. with off-campus audiences
- Use as a site for community-campus collaborative work
The CHAT was purchased through Carleton’s Mellon-funded Initiative, Public Works: Arts and Humanities Connecting Communities (PWI). It is run in partnership by the Carleton Center for Community and Civic Engagement (CCCE) and the Rice County Historical Society (RCHS). We would like to extend an enormous thank you to the RCHS, and to Carleton’s Business and Grants Offices for collaborating with us on this project. For liability reasons, the CHAT is only available for use by Carleton and RCHS.
Using the CHAT – Equipment
The following equipment is available for use with the CHAT:
- MacBook Pro laptop and charger
- Anker Hub USB-C, which has 1 HDMI port, 1 Ethernet port, and 3 USB 3 ports
- Microphone with USB 3 connector (Logitech for Creators Blue Yeti USB microphone)
- Webcam with tripod (DEPSTECH)
- Projector with remote (Kodak Luma 350)
- 24-inch monitor (Dell)
- Sound shield (ClearSonic Panel A18)
- Suitcase with pop-up exhibit materials, including black tablecloths, foam book stands, foam core, level, tape, Command hooks, and a measuring tape.
Interior view of the CHAT, set up for recording interviews
ACE Fellows and Associate Director for Academic Civic Engagement and Scholarship Emily Seru meet in the CHAT trailer
CHAT Scheduling and Reservations
Check the CHAT schedule for availability
Go to the CHAT Reservations page to read more about reservations and fill out the CHAT reservation request form.