Host an Externship
Externships are helpful experiences to students as they explore and plan for their future. As an extern site host, you have the opportunity to support a Carleton student in a direct way. Alumni, parent, and employer-partner volunteers are vital to providing more than 250 externships to students each December.
Site Host Registration
Registration open from June to August 2022.
Site Host Preparation
- Attend an information session for site hosts (see below) to ask questions and learn more about hosting.
- Review the expectations for site hosts and consider whether you are able to meet the expectations.
- If any of the expectations feel unrealistic, please take advantage of the host information sessions so we can work with you to find a solution.
- Plan a successful externship.
- Register your experience (link above)
Information Sessions for Site Hosts
We are excited to offer several live information sessions about the program:
- Thursday, June 23, 2022, 2:00-3:00 p.m. CST, REGISTER
- Tuesday, July 5, 2022, 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST, REGISTER
- Thursday, July 21, 2022, 2:00-3:00 p.m. CST, REGISTER
- Friday, August 5, 2022, 1:00-2:00 p.m. CST, REGISTER
- Wednesday, August 17, 2022, 3:00-4:00 p.m. CST, REGISTER
Each session will include a brief presentation about the program, how to structure an experience, how to register, tips for hosting, and plenty of time for Q&A. To register and receive the Zoom link, click the “REGISTER” link above next to the day and time that works best for you (and/or your team).
Selection and Offer Process
- Hosts review application materials (cover letter and résumé) from all candidates. Hosts can choose to conduct interviews or have less formal conversations with the candidates to gain additional insights about the candidates.
- After the review, hosts will submit rankings for all candidates who applied. (Candidates who would not be a satisfactory choice will receive a null ranking.)
- The Career Center will take the rankings and use an automated system to make offers to the candidates on behalf of the hosts.
- Candidates may receive multiple offers at once and can only accept one externship.
- Candidates and hosts will be connected via email after a candidate officially accepts an offer.
For more information or assistance, contact the Career Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.