Externships provide opportunities for job shadowing, networking, and/or project-based work. These experiences during winter break allow students to explore a career field and build professional connections.
Since 2008, alumni, parents, and friends of Carleton have offered students the opportunity to participate in externships across the globe.
- One- to three-weeks in length and involves 75-120 total hours.
- Includes opportunities to job shadow, network with professionals within the organization and industry, and/or complete project work.
- A high level of mentoring and support in student exploration.
- In-person, remote, or hybrid experience.
Host and Student Expectations
- July 1-August 25: Site host registration.
- August 28: Externship postings go live on Handshake for students.
- September 24 at 11:59:00 pm: Deadline for students to apply for up to 4 positions.
- September 25-October 11: Hosts review, interview, and rank candidates.
- October 17: Students begin to receive offers from automated Career Center system.
- October 27: Externship registration due from students (including self-designed).
- November 10: Deadline for students to complete all orientation pieces.
- November 27-December 15: Externships take place.
Discover the impact externships can have on career development. Our students shared what they experienced, learned, and gained from their externships.