Externships provide opportunities for job shadowing, networking, and/or project-based work. These experiences during winter break allow students to explore a career field and build professional connections.
Since 2008, alumni, parents, and friends of Carleton have offered students the opportunity to participate in externships across the globe.
- One- to three-weeks in length and involves 75-120 total hours.
- Includes opportunities to job shadow, network with professionals within the organization and industry, and/or complete project work.
- A high level of mentoring and support in student exploration.
- In-person, remote, or hybrid experience.
- July 1-August 26: Site host registration.
- August 1: Housing host recruitment begins.
- August 29: Externship postings go live on Handshake for students.
- September 25 at 11:59:00 pm: Deadline for students to apply for up to 4 positions.
- September 26-October 12: Hosts review, interview, and rank candidates.
- October 17: Students begin to receive offers from automated Career Center system.
- October 28: Externship registration due from students (including self-designed).
- November 1-4: Student orientation occurs.
- November 11: Deadline for students to complete all orientation pieces.
- November 28-December 16: Externships take place.
- December 16: Post-externship evaluation for students and hosts.
Discover the impact externships can have on career development. Our students shared what they experienced, learned, and gained from their 2021 externships. You can see where all of our 2021 externs were located on this interactive map.