Summer 2022 Global Edge Internship Program
Application deadline: Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Program dates: June 12 – August 7 (8 weeks) – to be confirmed
- Complete an application form. The application asks you to provide information about you and your interests, answer some essay questions, and upload a résumé and an unofficial transcript.
- Request two letters of recommendation. Ideally, one letter should be from faculty and the other from a supervisor at a previous work or volunteer experience.
What is Global Edge?
The Career Center is committed to ensuring Carleton students gain a competitive advantage by offering global opportunities that facilitate the type of experiences that allows students to learn global and cultural fluency. The Global Edge program was created to give students the opportunity to intern abroad. We have two program sites for Summer 2022: Shanghai, China and Cape Town, South Africa.
How does it work?
Participants are matched with an internship that is tailored to their individual interests and learning objectives in Shanghai, China or Cape Town, South Africa. The Career Center will be facilitating internships in partnership with Connect-123. The program helps students to experience an internship outside the U.S. with the support of an in-country liaison and coordinator.
What internships are available to me?
For Shanghai, internship options are available in all sectors, including social entrepreneurship, business, education, health care, human rights, and many more. For Cape Town, there needs to be an element of social entrepreneurship involved in your internship – which can be in many sectors. If you’re not sure, reach out to the Career Center to help clarify your interests and explore various options.
What is the cost?
The Career Center has generous donors that have committed to fully funding the program so that students who demonstrate financial need can participate. The Career Center will cover the program fee plus associated (reasonable) expenses (travel, room, and board).
- The Career Center will pay the program fee and housing expenses directly to Connect-123.
- Participants will be provided with supplemental funding to offset additional expenses associated with the internship experience, including travel, daily commuting, and food. The Career Center’s combined total programmatic support will not exceed $10,000 per student.
- Participants should expect that personal and/or family income may be needed to supplement cultural events and experiences as these are optional.
- Students who receive need-based financial aid may be eligible to receive an additional $2,000 to apply to tuition expenses.
What is “Connect-123?”
To learn more about Connect-123 and internships that previous participants have undertaken, please consult the Connect-123 website. (Please note that at this time, Carleton’s Global Edge program is only available for the destinations of China and South Africa.)
How are applications evaluated?
Applications will be decided on the basis of merit and financial need (as determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid) by a committee. Before you apply, please review the scoring rubric used by the faculty-led committee to evaluate application materials.
Are there any ways to make my application more competitive?
All else being equal, preference will be given to the following applicants:
- Those interested in doing an internship related to social entrepreneurship;
- Those interested in internships in China (without previous experience in China);
- Students with an aptitude in the language spoken in the country; and,
- Students with previous internships and/or work experience.
Visit the Career Center! Our Career Coaches and SCAs can provide exceptional support for you every step of the way.