Faculty and staff traveling internationally on College business, beyond Off-Campus Study programs and Global Engagement programs, are required to self-enroll in an individual supplemental insurance coverage plan with Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for the duration of your trip. The supplemental plan includes evacuation, repatriation, and now a zero deductible medical plan up to $100,000 in coverage.

The cost of the plan should be charged to your Carleton Purchasing Card. Please select Cost Center: Risk Management and Spend Category: Insurance during your Workday expense reconciliation.

The following programs have been registered, and no additional action is required if your program is listed on these sites:

As a reminder, only International Insurance for Carleton-related travel is paid for by the College. Domestic travel insurance should be declined or paid for with personal funds.

WARNING: Level 4: Do Not Travel advisory locations may not automatically be covered by Carleton insurance policies due to the high-risk locations. Individuals who expect to travel to these locations despite the travel advisory should confirm their travel plans with their respective Dean and share information with, Purchasing & Risk Manager.

Student Travel Itinerary

Flights for students outside of our OCS and GEP programs need to be registered with CISI to ensure insurance coverage. Please contact the Risk Manager.

Global Travel

Faculty and staff traveling internationally on College business are covered for emergency evacuation assistance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). In order for these services to be most effective, record your travel with the International Travel Record. CISI provides medical referrals, evacuation assistance, and a wide range of travel assistance

To print your CISI card:

  1. Go to the Cultural Insurance log-in page.
  2. Select that you are an insured
  3. User name:
  4. Password: carletoncisi

A summary of benefits for faculty and staff is listed below.

Students on rostered Off-Campus programs have emergency assistance, evacuation services and medical benefits. Faculty and staff planning to travel with students outside of Off-Campus programs must notify the Risk Manager (507-222-4178) to ensure that their student travel is reported.

High Risk Travel Destinations

The College considers the safety of its students and staff to be of the utmost importance. Travelers wishing to travel to countries on the U.S. State Department Warnings List need to ensure all risks have been fully and carefully considered by relevant travelers and administrators. Travelers and administrators must evaluate to determine whether such travel is reasonable on a case-by-case basis and whether insurance is excluded for the travel location.

Please contact the Risk Manager (507-222-4178) if you are considering travel to any countries on the U.S. State Department Warnings List.

Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

It is recommended that all employees and students traveling internationally sign up for the U.S. State Department’s Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist in an emergency. The traveler need only enroll once and then can update as trips are planned.

Other Resources