2022-2023 Department Seminars
Mondays, 3:30-4:30 PM, 141 Olin
Biology Majors need to attend 10 seminars to fulfill the seminar requirement for comps. Seminar attendance counts toward the seminar requirement beginning in spring term of sophomore year after declaring a biology major. The seminar requirement must be met by the end of the fifth week of spring term of senior year. If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Wolff. Scroll to bottom for other seminar series of note.
Fall Term 2022
- September 12 – First day of classes; no seminar
- September 19 – Carleton Bio faculty. “Biology Department Research Lightning Talks!” Hosted by Matt Rand.
- September 26 – Dan Hernández, Professor of Biology and department chair, Carleton. “The State of the Biology Department with Respect to IDE”.
- October 3 – Nels Elde ’95, Associate Professor of Human Genetics, University of Utah. “Evolutionary Infection Biology”. Hosted by Stephan Zweifel.
- October 10- Matt Hodges ‘98, Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee. “Pre-clinical models of respiratory dysfunction in epilepsy and synthetic opioid overdose”. Hosted by Matt Rand.
- October 17 – midterm break; no seminar
- October 24 – Jessalyn Ayars ‘21, Paglia Fellow, U.S. Forest Service and University of New Mexico. “Do animals make good choices? Linking movement and fitness data to understand ecological traps” Hosted by Dan Hernández.
- October 31 – No seminar
- November 7 – Jay Balamurugan, BBC Science Documentary Researcher. “Working in SciComm – Storytelling and Science in Documentary Production” Hosted by Rika Anderson
- November 14 – Jake Grossman, Assistant Professor of Biology and Environmental Studies, St. Olaf. “Phenological physiology: Annual patterns of climate change resilience in temperate trees” Hosted by Dan Hernández.
Winter Term 2023
- January 2 – First day of classes is 1/4; no seminar
- January 9 – How do I get a research position? Hosted by the SDAs.
- January 16 – Cedric Owens, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, Chapman University. Hosted by Rou-Jia Sung.
- January 23 – Kate Meyer ’09, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Carleton College. Hosted by Mark McKone.
- January 30 – Lisa Schulte Moore, Professor, Department of Natural Resource Ecology and Management and co-director of the Bioeconomy Institute, Iowa State University. Hosted by Dan Hernández.
- February 6 – midterm break; no seminar
- February 13 – Mark McKone, Towsley Professor of Biology, Carleton. “Darwin Day”.
- February 20 – Lexy von Diezmann, University of Minnesota and University of Utah. Hosted by Jennifer Wolff.
- February 27 – Ashley Moseman and Annie Park Moseman, Duke University Immunology Department. Hosted by Debby Walser-Kuntz.
- March 6 – Carla Narvaez, Post-doc student, University of Washington. Hosted by Mike Nishizaki.
- March 13 – Exam day; no seminar
- March 20 – Spring Break; no seminar
Spring Term 2023
- March 27 – First day of spring term; no seminar
- April 3 – Shanta Hejmadi, Evolutionary Ecology post-doc, Macalester College. Hosted by Raka Mitra.
- April 10 – Aaron Ninokawa, Post-doc student, University of Washington. Hosted by Mike Nishizaki.
- April 17 – Karen Chan, Assistant Professor in Marine Biology, Swarthmore College. Hosted by Rou-Jia Sung.
- April 24 – Michael Schrimpf, Research Scientist, Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Hosted by Rika Anderson.
- May 1 – midterm break; no seminar
- May 8 – No seminar.
- May 15 – No seminar.
- May 22 No seminar.
- May 29 – Memorial Day; no seminar
Other Seminar Series of Interest:
- Carleton Chemistry Department Seminars
- Fridays at 3:30 pm in Olin 04
- St. Olaf Biology Department Seminars
- Mondays at 4:00 pm in Regents Hall 410