The MDI Biological Laboratory’s Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program aims to engage students in scientific explorations in the Laboratory’s focus area, comparative regenerative biology, while providing them with opportunities to build skills important to successful careers in the biological sciences. For 10 weeks, each REU student will conduct independent research under the mentorship of a research scientist while having access to state-of-the-art research laboratories, core facilities and support staff. Students will join in MDI Biological Laboratory’s active scientific community, which includes other undergraduate research fellows, visiting scientists, graduate students and post-docs as well as research assistants.
- Open to US citizen undergraduates anywhere in the United States and U.S. Territories who do not have prior undergraduate degrees and are eligible for fellowships.
- Students from underserved populations are encouraged to apply.
- Competitive applicants should have a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average.
- Students must be aiming for careers in research.
- Students enrolled in non-research-intensive colleges, universities, and community colleges are highly encouraged to apply.
- All REU Fellows will carry out their research onsite at the MDI Biological Laboratory.
- All REU fellows participate in Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR), a scientific communication course, ethics training, careers workshops, innovation exploration, and other enrichment opportunities.
- Students will present their findings at our annual Summer Science Symposium.
- REU Fellows receive some travel assistance, housing, meal plans, and stipends.
- Program dates are May 31 – August 5, 2023.
Applications are due January 27, 2023. Learn more and apply.