Carleton College welcomes geocaching and letterboxing both on Campus and in the Arboretum. The following guidelines have been established to protect the natural features of the Arboretum, reduce user conflicts throughout the College property and provide a high quality experience for all visitors. Those searching for caches or letterboxes must follow Campus and Arboretum visitor regulations. The following guidelines are in effect for anyone who wishes to place a cache or letterbox of any sort on College property.
- Any placement of a cache or letterbox must receive prior approval from the Arboretum Director. You must provide the GPS coordinates (if a cache) as well as relative location to the nearest trail or building or features of the Arboretum (see campus and arboretum maps).
- Note that caches/letterboxes will not be permitted in areas with steep slopes, close to existing caches/letterboxes, where it may impact rare natural features or interfere with the College’s athletic or other activities.
- Caches and letterboxes may not be placed in the vicinity of any college residence (dormitories or college owned houses).
- You must state your caching/letterboxing alias as well as your real name and contact information.
- Provide details on the cache/letterbox container you plan to use, the associated caching/letterboxing organization/web site, and any other specific information about the cache/letterbox. Caching/letterboxing web sites are monitored by College personnel and any caches placed without authorization will be removed and an appropriate action taken.
- Due to the growing popularity of these activities, no person will be permitted to place more than four caches on College Property in order to allow others the ability to do so.
- Once a cache is approved, it may not be relocated more than a few feet without obtaining further permission from the Arboretum Director.
- Cache/letterboxing containers and contents may not be buried or submerged, but can be hidden in dry surface vegetation within reach of walkers on the ground without climbing or impacting the natural habitat. You may not significantly re-arrange vegetation or dead vegetative material to hide the cache/letterbox.
- Cache/letterboxing containers must be permanently labeled on the exterior to note that cache has been approved by Carleton College, the Arboretum phone number (507-222-4543) and the associated web site/info source (e.g. “www.geocaching.com“).
- Caches must be monitored and maintained by the placer to insure accuracy, safety, and working condition of the cache.
- Caches from organizations/websites that do not permit Carleton College to find and monitor a cache online will not be permitted (such as terracaching.com).
- Please consider noting on your web listing that the cache was approved by Carleton College.
- Carleton College accepts no responsibility or liability for any cache, and will not assist in the maintenance of a cache.
Submit your questions or request for approval to Nancy Braker, Arboretum Director or phone the Arboretum Office at 501-222-4543.