Thank you for your interest in serving as a student representative to the Multicultural Alumni Network (MCAN) Board. Below is information about MCAN as well as requirements for student representatives. If, after reading through this information, you are interested in submitting an application, please complete the form below and attach a copy of your cover letter and résumé. We are specifically seeking creative and motivated students.
MCAN Mission Statement
The purpose of Carleton’s Multicultural Alumni Network is to broaden and support the College’s overall educational, admissions, career, and fundraising programs, particularly as these programs relate to the enrichment of its students and alumni of color. Allies to these endeavors are welcomed.
The goals and objectives of MCAN are:
- To aid in the recruitment of students of color
- To aid in the retention of students of color
- To address the non-academic needs of students of color in helping to create a more nurturing environment on campus
- To increase faculty and staff diversity
- To facilitate an active relationship between the Carleton community and alumni of color
Student Representative Requirements
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must serve from the time you are brought onto the board through graduation, plus an additional year post-graduation
- Help maintain MCAN’s social media pages, including posting information about campus events
- Contribute an article sharing your brief student perspective for the MCAN newsletter (alternates between student reps; 1 perspective per student representative per year)
- Serve as a liaison between campus, OIIL and the MCAN community, including bringing issues that might need alumni involvement to our attention
- Represent MCAN at various events, based on your availability, such as Alumni in Residence Program (greeting alumni, escorting them to an event, introducing them at dinner — you would not be required to attend all events), Reunion (if possible), and MCAN events (during breaks)
- Participate in conference calls (monthly, one hour) and participate in the Board meeting in April
- Note: Student Representatives are ineligible to apply for the MCAN Supplemental Grant (MCAN Fellows Program)
MCAN Student Representative Application
This form closed on June 11, 2021.