How do students request accommodated exams?
All requests for accommodated exams are submitted through the Accommodate system. Students complete a test request which goes to Disability Services and to the professor. The professor will receive an email indicating that the student has submitted a request, and the professor is asked to approve or deny the request.
How do I know which of my students have accommodations?
To find out which of your students have approved accommodations, visit the Accommodate system. Sign in with your Carleton username and password and follow these steps:
- Click on “Courses” on the left-hand side of the page.
- Select a course section.
- Click on the “Enrolled Students” tab, located just below the course name.
- You will see a class roster, which includes enrolled student’s names along with any accommodations they are approved for.
How do I approve a request for an accommodated exam?
How do I approve or modify a test room booking request in the Accommodate system?
- Click on the “Courses” tab.
- Click on the course indicated in the testing request. Be sure to choose the correct course link based on the day of the week that the exam is being held in class.
- Click on the “Room Bookings” tab, then click on the “Pending” tab.
- You will see a list of student names. Find the requesting student’s name and click on it. If a student has submitted requests for multiple exams, be sure to choose the correct link based on the exam date and time (this is listed below their name).
- Read the questions and answer any that apply.
- Indicate approval or non-approval of this testing appointment by selecting “Yes” or “No”.
- If the exam is ready, you may upload it and click “Submit” when done. If not, you can still complete the questions to approve the testing appointment, click “Submit”, and upload the exam at a later date.
- To upload the exam later, follow steps 1-2 above. When you get to step 3, click on “Room Bookings” and then click on “Approved”. You will see a list of student names with bookings that you have previously approved. Find the requesting student’s name with the correct testing date and click on it. You can upload the exam and modify responses to any of the questions if needed. Click “Submit” when done.
Exams can also be emailed with instructions to OAR@carleton.edu
If you have any questions about this process, or about Accommodate in general, please contact Sam Thayer (x4464, email@example.com) or email OAR@carleton.edu.
Carleton College faculty/staff/organization leaders who have a need to provide captioning of video or transcription for audio for a disability-related accommodation request should use this form to request captions.
Creating Accessible PDFs
View this LinkedIn Learning tutorial (free with Carleton email login) to learn how to create accessible PDFs using Acrobat Pro, Microsoft Word, or Adobe InDesign.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
Faculty Rights, Responsibilities, and FAQS can be found on the Office of the Provost website.